Large Association of Movie Blogs
Large Association of Movie Blogs

Saturday, June 23, 2007

I Lived To See The 100th Post

For my 100th post, I must tip my hat to YouTube, Daily Motion, and Archive.org. They, in conjunction with many of the blogs in my "Link" section have supplanted broadcast media as my source of home entertainment (other than playing music, of course). Boy, am I glad all three are still around - and I live in an area such terrific and comprehensive DVD purveyors as LeVideo and Amoeba Music.

I'm glad because it's possible to see clips like the following: the opening ten minutes from Hellzapoppin'
, the 1941 Universal feature adapted from the fabulously insane Broadway revue of the same name. This classic comedy is not available on DVD - and, be still my heart, features Olsen and Johnson, Hugh Herbert, Mischa Auer AND Shemp Howard.



I'm doubly glad because if I can't find that VHS tape I have somewhere with the Ernie Kovacs commercials for Dutch Masters, here they are:



And, if scouring every DVD store and online outlet for hard-hitting, no-holds-barred le jazz hot - the kind that isn't allowed on television anymore (actually, it never was allowed on television in the United States) - STILL turns up nothing. . . here's a wonderfully incendiary 1974 performance by the larger-than-life Charles Mingus Quintet.

No comments: