Large Association of Movie Blogs
Large Association of Movie Blogs

Monday, December 15, 2008

And This Blog Loves Scopitones

Anybody who has attended events I collaborate on or produce knows, I'm a sucker for musicals, especially Scopitones and Soundies. I had never seen this Scopitone before last weekend's KFJC Psychotronix Film Festival. It's a beaut and starts with a turban-wearing dude spinning around. Surrounded by wonderfully strange imagery throughout, powerful vocalist Timi Yuro (1940-2004) gives her all to such 1960's-era WTF lyrics as "if I had everything, I'd still be a slave to you".

Of the strikingly odd moments, those showgirls bearing globes (literally, not figuratively or metaphorically) are my favorites.

2 comments:

Carol L. Skolnick said...

Oh come on, the globes ARE TOO metaphorical! Still, this is great, and what a wonderful vocalist - I hadn't heard of her before.

Paul F. Etcheverry said...

Love the idea of illustrating that lyric with showgirls holding globes. It's metaphorical and also lame-brained literal!

I agree, Timi Yuro could really belt 'em out, and no doubt sent audiences home with great memories. There are more clips of her available on YouTube.