Large Association of Movie Blogs
Large Association of Movie Blogs

Friday, July 20, 2007

Burt Bacharach Day

In the middle of all these postings about last weekend's San Francisco Silent Film Festival comes. . . the 20th of this month, so that means it's Burt Bacharach Day.

Alas, Burt wrote nothing (that I know of) to accompany silent movies, but I'll pay tribute to the great pop composer-arranger-songwriter anyway. This month's clip, of L.A. psychedelic-garage-folk-punk rockers Love performing Bacharach and David's "My Little Red Book" on American Bandstand, is precisely the kind of unorthodox treatment of Burt songs I like.


It's unlikely that Burt and Hal liked this rocked-out 1966 variation on this tune, but who cares - it ties in with the stretch of Arthur Lee and Love related material I posted earlier this month.

I'm still waiting for Elvis Costello's variation on "My Little Red Book".


No comments: